Lawful vs Expedient

All things are lawful for me, but not all things are helpful; all things are lawful for me, but not all things *edify.  1 Corinthians 10:23, NKJV

Many years ago, another person and I were witnessing to a young woman whose "before Christ" lifestyle was in the "fast lane" which included partying, playing cards, etc.  I don't recall whether gambling was a part of that lifestyle, but she was convinced that a real Christian should never play cards. 

I had recently gone through  something very traumatic prior to entering my freshman year of college. I did not do much except go to class, spending the rest of the time in my room where I learned to play solitaire which was relaxing.  Solitaire is a game played alone.      

I could have attempted to convince the young woman that there was nothing sinful in and of itself about cards, however, the enemy would have used that as a stumbling block.  To her the cards represented a lifestyle that she wanted to leave behind, but for me it was a means of relaxation.  There would not have been anything wrong (unlawful) with trying to her to change her opinion, but it would have been a stumbling block.  It would have sabotaged her openness to God's plan of salvation and would not have *edified her.  Leading her to Christ was the goal.   

Galations 5:13 reads For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.  The right or desire to change her opinion rightfully took a back seat to leading her to salvation.  Leading her to Christ was the goal.   

Let's be mindful to never recklessly or selfishly abuse our liberty in Christ.  The goal is to win souls to Christ! 

 Blessings.

~CWP~

Photo by Rosie Sun on Unsplash

*KJV uses the word "expedient.

**According to Merriam-Webster, the Biblical definition of edify is "to instruct and improve especially in moral and religious knowledge:  uplift. also: enlighten, inform, archaic.:build". 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elohim, The God of Creation

PASSION WEEK/HOLY WEEK

We Need This C.O.F.F.E.E.