SHADOW of Death!

 


"SHADOW OF DEATH"

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.     Psalm 23:4 (NKJV). (Emphasis is mine.)

What is a shadow?  The Oxford Dictionary, defines a shadow as "a dark area or shape produced by a body coming between rays of light and a surface." 

To a scary movie aficionado, shadows or things that might be lurking in the shadows (especially when they are accompanied by dramatic music) are a sure signal that a character is about to have a really bad day.  I recall a FaceBook video of a toddler who was trying to outrun her shadow because she was petrified that this "thing" chasing her wanted to  harm her.  Of course, she was not able to outrun it.  Her fear and panic were real, but the threat to her safety was not.  Dad to the rescue!  When her father came to her "rescue"and picked her up, all her fears (though unfounded) were put to rest in the safety of dad's arms. 


Is it possible that this same train of thought can be applied to understanding today's scripture?  For sure, valley experiences can illicit fear and dread, making those "shadows" more omnious.  However, there is a shadow which protects and gives us comfort in those times.  It is being "under the shadow of the Almighty.  Psalm 91:1-2 (RSV) explains it best.  He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High, who abides in the shadow of the Almighty, will say to the Lord, "My refuge and my fortress; my God, in whom I trust." We can rest in that truth!  (Emphasis mine.)

Blessings.

~CWP~




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Elohim, The God of Creation

PASSION WEEK/HOLY WEEK

We Need This C.O.F.F.E.E.