“IN STEP WITH THE LORD”


Matthew 11:28-30 (NKJV)

28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am [a]gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”




There have been so many times that I have read and “understood” a scripture with my intellect and not my spirit. Not that I was trying to be deep by thinking that I was “smart” enough to discern spiritual truths with my carnal mind, but, at the time,  that was the only way I knew to process what I read.  I had to learn the proper steps and mindset of reading and studying scripture.  II Timothy 2:15 (KJV) admonishes    “Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth”.  First, it was essential to commit time to study because it is not enough to just sit and hear the Word preached. The second part was to ask the Holy Spirit to give me revelation or spiritual understanding, as well as, insight into what I was reading. The third component was to ask the Holy Spirit to reveal how to apply that revelation to my life.  


For a long time, I struggled with the “My yoke is easy and My burden is light” part of that verse.  In my mind, it did not make sense because I saw a yoke as something that was big, heavy (solid wood sometimes with iron), restrictive, and burdensome by definition. However, when the Holy Spirit gave me revelation, it was made to be crystal clear.


                         

                                  Photo:  Joseph’s Yokes:  Ignatian Spirituality

                                                                 Ignatianspirituality.com


He literally showed me 2 oxen with a yoke on the back of their necks.  This visual taught and showed me that if I am yoked with Christ, then I am keeping myself in step with His steps.  I am actually following His lead.  (Psalm 119:133a-NKJV- “Direct my steps in Your Word,”)  I don’t move unless He moves.  If He goes to the right, then I go to the right.  If He stands still, then so do I.  It made so much sense that being “yoked” with Him would make my journey, my decisions, etc. so much easier and lighter. 


What better place to be in this first quarter of 2021 which is  pregnant with opportunities and possibilities than to be in step with Him and His Will.  If we are obedient, then we never have to bear any burden alone.  Any burden indeed becomes light. 


Blessings.


~CWP~

 


Comments

  1. Blessed by your wisdom, as always! Glad to be yoked up with like-minded folks on the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! I think of us being Christs’ bond slave. We are yoked together by the Spirit!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Elohim, The God of Creation

PASSION WEEK/HOLY WEEK

We Need This C.O.F.F.E.E.